Welcome to the IASS
The continuing development of design, analysis, and construction techniques of shell and spatial structures has resulted in an increasing fund of information of practical interest to architects, engineers, and builders.
The IASS, founded by Eduardo Torroja in 1959, has as its goal the achievement of further progress through an interchange of ideas among all those interested in lightweight structural systems such as lattice, tension, membrane, and shell structures.
The Association welcomes to membership all individuals and organizations who share its aims.
Activities of the IASS
To achieve its goals, the Association undertakes the following activities:
- Sponsors the Technical Activities of several Working Groups, publishes their state-of-the-art reports and their recommendations on design and construction, and hosts technical/information sessions of each active group at the annual symposia;
- Publishes a quarterly international journal, the Journal of the IASS, in print and on-line;
- Organizes annual International Symposia on themes of general interest to engineers, architects and builders;
- Fosters the organization of one or more Colloquia (specialty conferences) each year by individual Working Groups;
- Co-sponsors or endorses other symposia and conferences often with partner organizations or associations;
- Confers Honors and Awards to recognize outstanding contributors to the field of shell and spatial structures;
- Co-ordinates through the Liaison Committee with six other civil engineering associations.
Administration of the IASS
The Association is governed by its Executive Council, elected by the Members. The Council, in turn, elects the President, Vice Presidents and Treasurer, and appoints Working Group chairmen. Further details about the organization and administration are given in the page Organization of the IASS.
Since the founding of the IASS, the Association Secretariat and Headquarters are at the Laboratorio Central de Estructuras y Materiales of Centro de Estudios y Experimentación de Obras Públicas (CEDEX), in Madrid, Spain.
[This page last updated 6 September 2014.]