Free Form Design as the Digital “Zeitgeist”
< Table of Contents for Vol. 48 (2007) No. 4 November n. 156
- Journal Name: Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures (J. IASS)
- ISSN: (Electronic Version) 1996-9015, (Print Version) 1028-365X
- Issue: Vol. 48 (2007) No. 4 November n. 156
- Pages: 3-9
- Title: Free Form Design as the Digital “Zeitgeist”
- Author(s): A. Borgart and T.Kocaturk
- Keywords: Free-Form Design, Digital Collaborative Design, Emerging Processes.
A theoretical analysis and a critical overview of Free-Form Design is presented in relation to its link with the past styles of architecture and current technological developments in building industry at large. Free-Form design is identified as a new and cross-disciplinary domain and is characterized as representative of the larger scale of impact of digital technologies on building design and production. The formal and the procedural challenges it entails are identified from the viewpoint of three domains: architectural design, structural design and manufacturing. Thus, rather than a mere syntactical approach to free-form design, the paper intends to identify the new discourse in relation to the tasks and processes which determined them, within the technological and socio-organizational context in which they have been created and materialized. The analysis describes how the theoretical framework of the Free-Form Design has been formulated which has led to the founding of a new IASS sub-working group Free-Form Design and the content development for the first International Colloquia of Free-Form Design.
Read the complete article
(requires membership or subscription)