All those interested in any aspect of the design, analysis, and construction of lattice, tension, membrane, shell, and other lightweight spatial structures, as well as those interested in the research into their behavior, are welcome to become members of the IASS.
Benefits of IASS Membership
Please join the IASS with hundreds of others from around the world to enjoy the following benefits of membership:
- Reduced registration fees at IASS Symposia and Colloquia
- Participation in the Working Groups of the Association, open to all interested members
- A copy of each newly published Report or Recommendations of every Working Group
- A subscription to the Journal of the IASS on-line and, for most membership categories, in print
- Access to members-only features of the Association website such as:
- The Directory, which contains information about the profession and interests of the members who choose to list these
- The electronic edition of the Journal of the IASS, including several years of back issues, with all articles downloadable
- Member Tools for on-line renewal of membership, updating of your member profile, voting in IASS elections, etc.
- Information on the current membership and activities of each IASS Working Group
You can join on line or submit a membership application form by mail to the IASS Secretariat. The annual dues are given below.
Categories of Members
The Association encompasses ten categories of members:
- Individual members: individuals who share the aims of the IASS.
- Senior members (renewals only): Individual members who are at least 70 years of age and who have been IASS members continuously for 25 or more years.
- Student members: individuals who share the aims of the IASS and who are currently undergraduate or postgraduate students at a recognized institution of higher learning.
- Honorary Members: individuals with a distinguished record of outstanding achievement in the field of shell and spatial structures; honorary membership is conferred only by the Executive Council.
- Collective members: organizations or firms which share the aims of the Association and wish to support it.
- Subscribers: Universities, Colleges and Libraries who wish to subscribe to the Journal of the IASS.
- Exchanges: Courtesy memberships/subscriptions for other associations with which the IASS exchanges publications.
- Awardees: Individuals who receive one-year dues-free memberships as part of prizes, awards or recognitions of the Association.
- Chapter Representatives: An Individual member who serves as the coordinator and liaison for a Chapter (see Chapters below).
- Chapter Members: Individuals who are members of a Chapter in a region where economical conditions make it difficult for individuals to join the IASS as full members (see Chapters below).
Profile of the Membership
As of December 2012, 819 members or subscribers from 57 countries around the world are members of the Association:
- 469 Individual members
- 23 Senior members (this category implemented starting only in 2011)
- 125 Student members
- 15 Honorary Members
- 19 Collective members
- 59 Subscribers
- 14 Exchanges
- 20 Awardees
- 11 Chapter Representatives
- 64 Chapter Members
For details about the profile of the Membership, click here
The current annual membership dues (payable in Euros by credit card or bank transfer) are:
- Individual members: 75 euros
- Students: 10 euros
- Collective: 375 euros
- Senior (renewal only, see above): 55 euros
Journal Included in Membership Dues
A subscription to the Journal of the IASS is included in the membership dues for individual and Collective members as follows: All categories of members are eligible to access the electronic version, but Students, Awardees and Chapter Members are eligible to receive the electronic version only. Individual, Senior, Honorary and Exchange members and Chapter Representatives each receive one copy of each issue of the print version of the Journal, while Collective members receive three copies of each issue; however, these categories of members have the option of receiving both the print and electronic versions or only the electronic version, although the former is the default (this option can be exercised when updating one's member profile on line using the Member Tools.
Subscribers and Subscription Agencies should consult the Journal: Aims and Scope page for full information about subscription fees and options. For the convenience of Library Subscribers with many users of computer terminals, subscriptions for the electronic version may be directly by IP numbers. Electronic Subscribers can log in with their password to manage their subscriptions on-line by, for example, inserting or editing the list of IP numbers and ranges.
In those regions where economical conditions make it difficult for individuals to join the IASS, Chapters have been formed. Each Chapter consists of one or more groups of persons who share their contribution to the Association by each paying a partial membership dues to his or her Chapter Representative, who in turn pays dues to the IASS as if he or she were an Individual member. Depending on local conditions, these partial dues are as low as 1/10 of the normal Individual fee. The most recent policy for Chapters is detailed in the page Chapters.
This page last updated 2 February 2012